The history of Hog Island in Philadelphia

11

Hog Island, once a marshy terrain purchased from the Lenape people by a Swedish immigrant in 1681, later became home to the world’s largest shipyard in 1918 during the first world war. The shipyard was a small city, equipped with 70 miles of rail, 12 dining establishments, and approximately 35,000 employees. Despite extensive investment and the production of 120 ships, the shipyard was closed in 1921 due to project overrun and multiple corruption probes. The land was later bought by Philadelphia and transformed into Philadelphia Municipal Airport. The history of Hog Island, from marsh to farmland, shipyard, and then an airport, symbolizes the urban evolution of Philadelphia.

Source Link

Read More Better Today US News

Comments are closed.