Eataly Shooting: CPD reports gunfire during River North store dispute



A shot was fired during an altercation inside Eataly Chicago, an Italian specialty grocery store, causing chaos and panic among the customers and staff. The incident occurred when a man and two other people engaged in a verbal and physical altercation, during which the man pulled out a gun that went off during the struggle; however, no one was shot. The two individuals the man was arguing with took the gun and fled the scene before the arrival of the police.

Chaos Erupts at Eataly Chicago Following a Shooting Incident

A shooting incident at the Eataly Chicago in River North on Friday morning resulted in chaos, according to Chicago police. Reports of a physical altercation inside the downtown Italian specialty grocer brought multiple officers to the scene at 43 East Ohio Street around 9:30 a.m.

ABC7 Chicago is now offering 24/7 live streaming, providing continuous coverage of local events.

The altercation reportedly involved a man and two unidentified males. During the struggle, the man discharged a gun, although no one was shot. The two individuals involved in the altercation seized the gun and left the scene before the arrival of the police.

The man involved in the shooting suffered minor injuries and was admitted to Northwestern Hospital in good condition, according to the Chicago Fire Department. The injuries included a punch to the face. No other injuries were reported at the scene.

A video capturing the incident, which saw a large police presence in River North, can be found here.

An Eataly employee revealed that the shots were fired on the store’s second-floor. Carolyn Murray, a visitor from Crown Point, Indiana, described the scene of panic as customers and staff rushed out of the store.

“We saw people rushing out as we entered…Then, the police and the SWAT team with heavy-duty guns were going in,” Murray recalled, adding that someone who was upstairs during the shooting heard the shots.

Although staff were temporarily held outside, some managers were permitted back into the building around 11 a.m. as the ABC7 crew reported. The roads around the area, blocked for a while, reopened by 10:30 a.m. However, the store remained cordoned off at 11 a.m. for ongoing police investigations.

No further information regarding the incident was provided by the authorities immediately. For more details about crime and safety in your neighborhood, visit ABC7’s interactive safety tracker.

Read More Better Today US News

Comments are closed.